SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

November 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:25:17 -0600
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> Not vital/important for alpha-testing but a glance through the message
> showed...
>
>   The R listed isn't the R-2.5.0 that was added as a test for 5.0 (of
>   course our R users will no doubt be expecting 2.6.0 soon (released in
>   October)
>
>   I see no obvious reference to the yum installonlyn plugin though I
>   suppose it might be hidden in one of the other yum packages.  If not I
>   can offer you the trivial srpm we use...
>
> Attempting to rsync over the 5rolling currently results in:
>
>   rsync: send_files failed to open "/5rolling/i386/yum-conf-LQ-BWW" (in
>    scientific): Permission denied (13)
>
> Sadly I'm likely to be unable to test the alphs much in the next few
> days, but I will try...
>
>  -- Jon

Hi Jon,
The alpha release was just the updates of RedHat's releases, and the only
customizing was the packages that we had to (sl-release, sl-release-notes,
yum-conf).  You did point that out, I'm just repeating. :)

I have thought of a plan for R.
The problem is that we have two sets of users.  Those that want the latest R
and those that want the stable, this is what we use R.

As each S.L. release comes out, we'll just check and see what the latest R is,
and put it in that release.  But we don't update the R in the older releases.
So if a person wants to sit on whatever R came with S.L. 4.5, they can just
stay at S.L. 4.5.  Or just use the R in S.L. 4.5 and put it in their excludes
line for yum.

This will allow us to get a new version out every 6 months, which should keep
at least a fair amount of the R users happy, I hope.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group