SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:18:58 +0800
Honest Guvnor wrote:
> On 9/25/07, John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> these are all exactly the same model & revision? Same BIOS version?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Does dumping NVRAM and restoring it not work?
>
> Yes it works in that the node cleanly reboots afterwards.
> Unfortunately, if any of the settings are changed in order to enable
> PXE booting the reboot fails because of a checksum test against the
> checksum of the previous BIOS settings. I think I need to find a way
> to disable the checksum, get at the checksum to replace it or persuade
> it to boot with "corrupted" BIOS settings.

Just to be entirely certain you are saying what I think, if you set the
BIOS the way you want it on one, then copy it to others, that it does
not work?

I would think that if you are copying all of the BIOS settings, then the
checksum should be right.

I think you should ask this question on nahant-list because I'm sure
there's an AMD bloke there who's done exactly this. It might be that
someone there can advise how to calculate the checksum and fix it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait