SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:56:33 +0200
Greetings.

We would like to change the BIOS settings on our headless compute
nodes to enable PXE booting which is disabled in the default
configuration. Reading and writing with /dev/nvram appears to work but
on reboot the change in CMOS is recognised, assumed to be a corruption
(it might be a corruption if /dev/nvram is not properly supported) and
prompts to be reset. Is there a way round this?

There is no support for a serial console in the BIOS. The nodes have a
floppy disk. Any thoughts on alternatives?

Thanks - Andy.