SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2007 06:32:40 +0800
Honest Guvnor wrote:
Is that _really_ your name?

> Many thanks for the input which has got us over the blockage. A node
> with a keyboard/screen/mouse attached will now install automatically
> apart from a reboot prompt at the end. A node without
> keyboard/screen/mouse appears to install from the network/disk
> activity but does not come up at the end. But that is tomorrows task.
>
> Thanks Jan. How to access the errors was big help in telling me what
> seemed to be going wrong. Installing http eventually worked but I
> think my real problems were with dhcpv6/ipv6 and the server being a
> few years old suse flavour of linux with everything disabled.
>
> Thanks Troy. I like "noipv6" which I think may have been the root
> problem but I have yet to establish it.
>
> Thanks rader. I am not confident about the DHCP settings but tried
> many combinations including the ones you suggest. Now things are
> working to some extent we will revisit are options and disable as much
> as practicable.
>
> Andy.

Nah, didn't think so, but one can never be certain in these times.

I have used etherboot, but I wouldn't if I had a proper boot rom, and it
seems every system on the market these days does. PXE is described in
the RHEL documentation available from www.redhat.com.

I would fully expect KS to work from a SUSE server of any age, though
one with DHCP3 is to be preferred. One can do magical things with DHCP3.

One also needs a reasonable ftpd, and the one that comes with RHL and
its successors is fine, and I think the one  SUSE includes is okay.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait