SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:30:37 -0500
Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
> We are considering buying a server for a memory intensive application.
> It should have at least 32 GB RAM and a Intel or AMD CPU.
>
> The application is single threaded, single CPU, that is, in no way
> optimized for multiple CPUS or multithreading, which does not mean it
> could be optimized for such in the future, but not at the moment.
>
> Memory throughput should be optimal. The data to be processed should
> reside all in RAM, paging should be avoided by all means.
>
> Would the following choice of hardware be supported by a 64-bit
> Scientific Linux?:
>
>   o Tyan Tempest i5000PT (S5283) mainboard
>   o Intel XEON 5080 3730 MHz Diual Core CPU
>   o 32 GB RAM
>   o 3Ware 9590SE-8MI PCIe 4x
>
> Any comments welcome.
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies (at) rwth-aachen.de

Any AMD or Intel dual core has 64 bit capabilities and will run S.L. x86_64.
Actually, as far as I know, any AMD or Intel CPU made in the past year has that
capabilities.
The motherboard has an intel chipset, which is supported, though sometimes you
have to have the latest release.  So that should work.
I'm not positive about the 3ware card, I don't have any experience with the
newer one's, but I believe that one is supported.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
And x86_64 can handle 32 Gig of ram as long as the motherboard can.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group