SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:19:02 -0500
William Shu wrote:
> I had statically set (ie, manually inserted as opposed to DHCP) IP addresses in my SL 5.0. But when I changed it to another IP (from same ISP), internet access stopped and will not restart when the network service is started or even after system reboot. On reboot, eth0 starts up okay, but on pinging the gateway, I get the message: "connect: Network is unreachable".
>
> The problem persists even after I revert to the original IP address! However, I do have internet access under Windows when using the same IP address. I have the same problem on a desktop and a laptop. The ISP maintains there is no problem, else it should also fail under windows.
>
> The IP changes were done via system->administration->network, and edit was clicked on the selected device (eth0) on the general tab.
>
> Question: How can I overcome this inhibition to connection to network? Could there be some protection mechanism in SL 5.0 (or linux) to prevent/control changes to IP addresses? (I used to change it under RH9 and simply re-start the network server!)
>

> William.

Hello,
The first place I would look would be in /var/log/messages
The computer is probably trying to tell you what's wrong ...

As far as I know, there isn't anything that tries to prevent you from changing
your IP address, I do it all the time.

One of the most common mistakes made when changing the ip address is forgetting
to change the netmask and/or the gateway.  Have you had someone else check
these for you?
The reason I says "have someone else check" is because alot of time's, in our
heads, we think we put in the right numbers, and no matter how many times we
look at them, we think they are right.  But someone else, who didn't put them
in, usually see's that they are wrong right away.  I don't know why that is,
but I have lost track of the number of times people have had me try to fix
network problems when the real problem was a mistyped netmask or gateway.

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group