SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:25:49 -0700
I had statically set (ie, manually inserted as opposed to DHCP) IP addresses in my SL 5.0. But when I changed it to another IP (from same ISP), internet access stopped and will not restart when the network service is started or even after system reboot. On reboot, eth0 starts up okay, but on pinging the gateway, I get the message: "connect: Network is unreachable".

The problem persists even after I revert to the original IP address! However, I do have internet access under Windows when using the same IP address. I have the same problem on a desktop and a laptop. The ISP maintains there is no problem, else it should also fail under windows.

The IP changes were done via system->administration->network, and edit was clicked on the selected device (eth0) on the general tab.

Question: How can I overcome this inhibition to connection to network? Could there be some protection mechanism in SL 5.0 (or linux) to prevent/control changes to IP addresses? (I used to change it under RH9 and simply re-start the network server!)

William.