SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Jan Iven <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:54:07 +0200
On 12/09/07 03:44, Michael Semcheski wrote:
> This is a question regarding OpenAFS (any AFS will do, but I'm
> guessing OpenAFS is the most common.)

(for more in-detail questions you might want to use the openafs mailing
list)

> Is it possible to have either / and / or:
>
> Servers with replicas hosting a read/write volume.  One of the servers
> goes down, but the clients use the server that is still up...

read/write: currently not (there is some ongoing work but nothing of
production quality yet).

read-only: certainly. However, this requires an explicit operation to
sync the read-only replicas from the "master" read/write volume. In
other words, this is not transparent to the users, but easily handled as
part of any "release" procedure.

> Or one of the servers goes down, and the clients keep working on the
> local cached copy.

No (at least not for long). As soon as the client realizes that the
server is gone, it will stop accessing data from it. The reason is that
AFS caches need to be coherent across the system, and there are no
provisions to synchronize state after a server outage.

"disconnected" operations were one of the key features of CODA, a
successor to AFS. Unfortunately this project seems not quite ready for
major deployments..

> I'm considering switching from NFS, but its a big step, and I'm trying
> to suss out what the advantages are...

Suggest to list your requirements...
NFSv4 might be an alternative to AFS nowadays, but old NFSes were
unsuitable for wide-area access, and required you basically to trust all
the clients.
  Regards
jan