SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Shu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:43:21 -0700

<...>
> > Question: why was the partition /dev/sda6 not automatically reduced in
> > size, when the the physical volume was reduced? Do I manually reduce the
> > partition to create the free space? Some of the interactions follow:
> <snip use of pvresize>
>
> Because pvresize just alters the amount of space that LVM is allowed to
> use.  The pvresize manpage says:
>
>         Shrink the PV on /dev/sda1 prior to shrinking the partition with
>         fdisk (ensure that the PV size is appropriate for your intended new
>         partition size):
>
> Altering the pv-size is an unusual operation.  What are you actually
> trying to do?  If you just wanted to move some of the space from one lv to
> another (in the same vg) then tools like system-config-lvm will let you do
> that (though shrinking can't be done while a filesystem is live)...

Wanted to create space for a vfat partition (ntfs is too risky)  which will thus enable me transfer data between linux and windows.

 <...>
> > [root@slinux sluser]# mount -text3 /dev/sda6 /mnt/anchor        # physical partition is sda6.
> > mount:mounting /dev/sda6 failed: No such file or directory
>
> is lvm active at this point?  What do you get from running:
>
>    vgscan
>    vgchange -tv -ay
>    pvdisplay -c
>    vgdisplay -c
>    lvdisplay -c
>
> BTW the error I'd expect if the device doesn't exist is:
>
>    mount: special device /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 does not exist
>
> or if the mount-point doesn't exist I'd expect something like:
>
>    mount: mount point /mnt/anchor does not exist

Was working with the SL 5.0 rescue CD. The above vg* lv* pv* commands seemed to provide the desired information, but since another soln path has been used, I will not try to hand-copy them.

> Copy the raw disk/partitions off to somewhere safe before working on it if
> there is anything 'valuable' on the disk.  If the disk does have bad
> sectors then a utility like ddrescue may be more helpful than plain dd.

My worry here is that with lvm, you can no longer guarantee where information is found on the partition -- unless, perhaps, lvm is still in control!. While I have gotten yet another hard disk, and my immediate problem solved, I still want to be able to bypass lvm in the future, if need be.

<...>

> <snip>
> >>>

> >> They get mounted in /media
> >>
> >> I'll let others expain how to figure that out.
> >
> > Is there some documentation that presents things in a coherent fashion.
> > So far, I have drifted into finding out about udev, but things are just
> > getting more elaborate!
>
> udev isn't really relevant except that it is involved in setting up the
> devices when 'hotplug' stuff happens.
>
> The magic keyword to look for is 'hal' (or 'hald').  The hald keeps track
> of hardware and presents APIs to access it (over d-bus I think).
>
> The shortish answer is that hal picks a mount-point based on info from the
> device or file-system.  Most commonly it will pick the volume-label if the
> file-system has one (and it doesn't clash with an existing mount) and then
> uses that under /media/
>
> Applications like gnome-volume-manager speak to hald (over d-bus) to get
> info about available devices and make requests to have things done (e.g.
> mount or umount volumes).  In fact g-v-m calls gnome-mount which speaks to
> hal for it.  From the command-line you can call gnome-mount directly if
> you want, e.g. I may use:
>
>    gnome-mount -p JSPDATA
>
> and it mounts my usb-stick (which has the volume-label JSPDATA), under
> /media/JSPDATA/ and later I can say:
>
>    gnome-mount --unmount -p JSPDATA
>
> to make it go away.  If there isn't a suitable volume-label it probably
> uses something else and I'm sure it you can find out what by reading hal's
> .fdi files - ok I'm not really sure at all the behaviour might possibly be
> hard-wired...  You can ask hal to mount in a different place (still under
> /media) and add mount options by adding extra options to the command-line:
>
> $ gnome-mount -p JSPDATA --mount-point ook
> $ df -hl| grep media
> /dev/sdb1             962M  4.3M  958M   1% /media/ook

thanks for the explanations, which have been very helpful. However, I still have the following difficulties:

1)    I have tried changing the mount point using gnome-mount -p as shown below to no success. looks like some defaults tucked somewhere override this, and the gnome-mount page is not clear on the matter. I could not figure out much with respect to gnome-vfs-daemon and gnome-volume-manager which, from the man pages, invoke gnome-mount.

[root@localhost ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      60946300   5664932  52135640  10% /
/dev/sda5               101086     18319     77548  20% /boot
tmpfs                   966112         0    966112   0% /dev/shm
[root@localhost ~]# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sda1   *           1        3851    30933126    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2           13280       14462     9502447+   c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda3           14463       14593     1052257+  d7  Unknown
/dev/sda4            3852       13279    75730410    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            3852        3864      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sda6            3865       13279    75625956   8e  Linux LVM

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/sdb1               1       14593   117218241    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
[root@localhost ~]# gnome-mount -p wdmount -d /dev/sdb1
gnome-mount 0.5
[root@localhost ~]# df
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      60946300   5667264  52133308  10% /
/dev/sda5               101086     18319     77548  20% /boot
tmpfs                   966112         0    966112   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sdb1            117189600  11871296 105318304  11% /media/WD Passport
[root@localhost ~]#

2)
The article
    http://www.mythic-beasts.com/~mark/random/hal/
seems to suggest that .fdi files found in etc/hal/fdi/policy may be used to alter, say, default mount points (specifically in etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi), but these directories are empty in SL 5.0.

3)    Related problems to (2) are:
3.1) how do you get the UDI (unique device identifier), or access paths such as
     /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/
which do not seem to be under root directory (/)!
3.2) how does one view .fdi files? firefox gives complains such as:

[root@localhost ~]# firefox /usr/share/doc/hal-0.5.8.1/conf/storage-non-fixed.fdi &
[1] 8404

       "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

    <!--
 This .fdi files makes sure no fixed storage device gets tagged as
     mountable except if it's a floppy or optical drive
-->

    <deviceinfo version="0.2">

    <device>

    <match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<merge key="storage.policy.should_mount" type="bool">false</merge>

    <match key="storage.drive_type" string="floppy">
<merge key="storage.policy.should_mount" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>

    <match key="storage.drive_type" string="cdrom">
<merge key="storage.policy.should_mount" type="bool">true</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

3.3) The mail in:
    http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-January/msg00515.html

led me to gconf, but I cannot make sense out of the gconf-editor command which the manual recommends I "... Use this tool at your own risk."

4) Could there be a simple command/scripts OR templates for .fdi files that novices can use to just mount devices? Sprawling all over the place only helps get me confused!

> >> Conclusion: If you are concerned that you have a bad disk, get another
> >> disk, install S.L. 5.0 on it, then try your hardest to get the data off
> >> the other disk.  If you have a bad disk, that is not the time to be
> >> trying updates and upgrades on the disk.
> >
> > The hard disk is new and a test under windows (by a third party) did not
> > show any defects before I started using it. Things where working
> > smoothly then suddenly, files for the X windowing system went missing
> > but I could boot on a text screen sometimes.
>
> Is the rest of the hardware known to be ok?  I'd run memtest+ on it for a
> couple of days just to be sure that memory is ok.
>
> Did you get any smartd (or other interesting) messages before it started
> to fail?
>
> Can you attach this disk to another machine and use the utilities on there
> to check it?

To the best of my knowledge, the other hardware components are okay, and S.M.A.R.T. does not complain at boot. I have circumvented the problem by obtaining yet another hard disk, and hope I can find someone to tinker with hardware issues (though these seem to be Windows people).

<...>

> An adage to live by is:
>
>    If data is worth spending any time trying to recover, it should be
>    backed up.
>
> Not that this helps you right now but it might be something to avoid
> problems in the future.  I've almost been attacked by people when I tell
> them this after their disk failed, but I've never had the same person come
> back a second time... :-)

<...>

Yes, I agree. I've been saved many times by backed up data. Things are getting difficult with backing of configurations/p;ograms, as these are tweaked into place and the man-hours are not just available. Kickstart seems to be okay for standard o/sys installs.

http://sims.yahoo.com/