SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 01:41:27 +0100
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, William Shu wrote:
<snip snip>
> In non-lvm file system you know where things are, and dd, fdisk and
> other commands let you take your chances. In lvm, I am lost and given
> the lagacy software in various partitions of the machine (a pentium II)
> I cannot add more disks or use RAID.

I should have said that a couple of years ago I was of the opinion that
LVM was over-complicated and seemed pointless...

Part of my reason to avoid it for so long was that I'd had some bad
experiences with similar setups on OSF1 and HPUX (tools not working
properly, loss of data, lack of support etc)

When I first started trying to actually use the linux LVM I was still
confused and bewildered by some of the ways things worked.

Then suddenly one day it all *just made sense*.

My main problem now is doing the conversions from all the previous ways we
arranged disks -- some of our servers date from before my 'conversion' and
still need to be fixed.

Tomorrow I'm working on one server to add another 2TB of disk but because
it is not lvm I need to shuffle the existing ~1.4TB of data first...  In
contrast I added 3.6TB to a newer server (which is using LVM) a few weeks
ago and didn't even need to unmount the file-systems let alone reboot it!

  -- Jon