SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2007 08:50:25 -0500
John Summerfield wrote:
> Stephen Liu wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>

>> Tks for your advice.
>>

>>> My favourite rescue CD is Knoppix; it's pretty handy for both linux
>>> and Windows work, though I don't recall using it in connexion with LVM.
>>> I'm sure it would work, just not as nicely as usual.
>>
>> I tried Knoppix-5.1.1 before I came to SL.  It did not work for me
>> because the OS to be rescued is 64bit.  Knoppix-5.1.1 is 32bit.
>
> That doesn't follow. Knoppix is't NT either, but it does a fine job of
> rescuing/copying broken Windows.
>
> Knoppix may not run 64-bit binaries any more than it runs NT binaries,
> but it understands the filesystems well enough, and that's a large
> proportion of the recovery-type work I find necessary.

It really depends on what you need to rescue.
If you need to chroot to the OS, then you have to match 64 bit to 64 bit.  I've
had to do that several times, and it is a bit of a pain when all I can find are
32 bit rescue cd's.
But you are correct, if you are rescuing or modifying a file system, then it
doesn't matter if it's 32 or 64 bit.
Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group