SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:31:28 -0500
Nocte Diemque wrote:
> I have SL 4.4 with Java 1.4.2 which I believe came installed directly. I've since updated the Java twice, most recently to 1.6.0 and that works fine with Firefox.
>
> However when I want to use a command line tool which relies on Java it picks up 1.4.2. The `which' command also picks up 1.4.2. The Java web pages give advice on how to remove Java when installed from rpm, but this doesn't seem to apply to 1.4.2.
>
> Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this ? I experimented a little with renaming what I thought were the key files for java 1.4.2 but didn't succeed. I also tried simply aliasing /usr/java/jre1.6.0_02/bin/java to java, but this produced error messages.
>
> I'll be very grateful for help on this.
>
> NDI

Hi,
I've read all the thread on this, didn't know which one to jump into, so I'm
just jumping up at the top of the thread.

Scientific Linux 4.4 (and all the 4.x) comes with java 1.4.2 by default when
you install a web browser during the install.  This basically gives you the
java plugin right out of the box.
(You can unselect it during install, but that's not part of this discussion)

But, what get's installed is really 2 rpms.
   j2sdk - 1.4.2-x
   java-1.4.2-sun-compat - 1.4.2.x

The j2sdk is the java from sun.
The java-1.4.2-sun-compat is from JPackage.  This rpm put's all the links and
stuff into the proper places, so that you automatically get the plugin, have
java, javac, and everything else you need in your path.  In short, it makes
java "just work".
For those of you who have downloaded sun's java rpm, you know why
java-1.4.2-sun-compat is needed.  If you just install the java rpm, nothing is
in your path.  Everything is just in /usr/java.

How to get rid of the java 1.4.2 that comes with Scientific Linux 4.x

   rpm -e j2sdk java-1.4.2-sun-compat

You actually can do just
   rpm -e java-1.4.2-sun-compat

and leave the 1.4.2 rpm, but ... there is a catch.  Whenever we do a security
updated on java ... the blasted update rpm removes any other java rpm's you
have.  We're working on fixing this, but currently don't have a solution.  So I
suggest, you completely remove the 1.4.2 if you arn't using it.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group