SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2007 08:23:01 +0800
Nocte Diemque wrote:
> Thanks for this.
>
> I realize that I should have installed the java updates with the -U option, but (not understanding java) I did what the java web pages tell one to do and used -i.

Always, always add salt to any instructions not particular to your
distribution.

If you download any arbitrary software package (bash, from the fsf will
do as an example), the INSTALL instructions generally say
./configure
make
make install

If the package behaves well (and most do, complain otherwise), the
results will be in places under /usr/local and, while that package isn't
really maintainable, it won't actively interfere with other stuff and
you _can_ have two versions of bash installed together.

OTOH if you can get a deb or rpm for your distro, that will generally
fit in quite well, though in some cases you might need to build from source.

there are exceptions, and Java is one that historically has fitted less
well than most, but the point is that the instructions that come with a
package from its original supplier are fairly general, and often
intended for those who would repackage it.

btw it is possible to create an rpm from an arbitrary tarball. I won't
go into the details, but the basic plan would be to arrange the files
into the right structure in the %build phase where one would more
usually compile source into object and then link the object code.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait