SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2007

From:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Honest Guvnor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:02:02 +0200
On 9/27/07, John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Just to be entirely certain you are saying what I think, if you set the
> BIOS the way you want it on one, then copy it to others, that it does
> not work?

The evidence suggests that the copying is successful but on reboot the
BIOS considers the settings to be corrupted because of a failed
checksum test.

> I would think that if you are copying all of the BIOS settings, then the
> checksum should be right.

Why? As I see it, the checksum is presumably created and stored
somewhere when you select save in the BIOS setting program. Since this
has been bypassed by using /dev/nvram the stored checksum will not
match the new BIOS settings. It might have worked if the checksum
value was stored in the BIOS settings and the checksum test was only
for the rest of the settings but this would appear not to be the case.

> I think you should ask this question on nahant-list because I'm sure
> there's an AMD bloke there who's done exactly this. It might be that
> someone there can advise how to calculate the checksum and fix it.

It is a good suggestion. I have tried to contact Intel to ask for a
DOS floppy disk utility to do what I want but so far without success.