SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Aldo Saavedra <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aldo Saavedra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:53:30 +1000
Hi,

We have a problem with all our SL 4.4 PCs and X.
The X is configured to display in port 6009 once is restarted
by logging out. Configuration files are written to a temp directory
which causes the login screen not to appear.

This happened yesterday. Once you logged out the login
screen would not reappear. We put it down to a
yum update gone wrong.. rebuilt all the computers from the SL 4.4
CDs but today the computers have the same symptom. I think
auto update for yum was disabled properly.

So either it is a not so subtle hack or there is something
wrong with X. There are many more PCs with redhat entreprise and none of
them have had this problem. Only the PCs with SL 4 on them.

AFS seems to be the only big difference between them.

Has anybody experience something like this? Or have any ideas?

Cheers,
Aldo

Aldo F. Saavedra
Phone: +61 (0) 2 9351 5964