SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Peter Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 10:36:55 -0700
I've recently installed SL 5.0 on my machine, for which the
cpu is
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
and it all works like a charm.  Well I did spend a little time
zeroing in on an appropriate nvidia graphics driver for the
kernel, but eventually found that
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-9742-pkg2.run
which is a somewhat older "beta" driver, works for me.
I switched to the SL after struggling with trying to deal with
Fedora 7 for several weeks (eventually my machine would not
even boot with this OS, but it could have been due to a virus
infection---I have no idea).

So far, SL has given no trouble at all, even with SELinux in
the "enforcing" mode.

Good luck, and post a note if you run into any glitches.

    -- Peter