SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:25:55 -0500
My trusty T41's LCD is snowing intermittently. Illinois roads are bad.
Worse if you bike to work like me.  I'm surprised it's lasted this long
with it strapped to my bike. Since I've had good luck with the
Thinkpads, I'm thinking of replacing it with an X61 -- the 3lb Thinkpad.
My reservation has to do with its screen resolution.  My T41 is
1400x1050.  I'd prefer a lower resolution on the LCD.  Things are a tad
small at this resolution.  But, the increased screen is great when the
machine is docked to a large monitor.  The X61's 1024x768 will be fine
on the LCD but am I stuck to this resolution when I dock it?  Does Linux
support switching resolutions even if the LCD is rated as an XGA monitor
and the laptop is hooked up to a 1600x1200 external monitor?  Is
switching resolutions relatively painless?

Thanks!