SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Rakhesh Sasidharan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rakhesh Sasidharan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 21:52:51 +0400
Hendrik van Hees wrote:

> I just downloaded the installation iso image and installed the system via
> network. That's a nice option if you have a fast network connection. In my
> case the image has been
>
> http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/50/i386/images/boot.iso
>
> It worked very well "out of the box". The only thing, I had to do by hand was
> to compile the newest madwifi kernel modules myself, but also this worked
> very smoothly (after installing the kenrel source package of course).

Thanks for mentioning that option. Didn't realize there was a network
install option available now. (When I used Fedora 5 or so a long time ago,
it didn't have that option. Hadn't realized it was now added).

I'd prefer downloading 1 or 2 CDs and then proceeding from there instead
of the network install. If I go the former way, atleast I'll have all the
stuff I want in hand. Later if I want to install SL on more machines, I
won't have to download all the components again ...

Regards,
Rakhesh