SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:05:57 -0500
Karl Misselt wrote:
> Donald Tripp wrote:
>> This argument sounds vary familiar to NFS vs GFS vs Lustre vs GPFS...
>> All file systems have their pros and cons, and no file system is fool
>> proof. XFS is a good file system, so is Reiser, and ext3, and HFS
>> (Apple), but they all have their own faults.
>> Just my 2 cents...
>>

>> - Donald Tripp
>>  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
>> HPC Systems Administrator
>> High Performance Computing Center
>> University of Hawai'i at Hilo
>> 200 W. Kawili Street
>> Hilo,   Hawaii   96720
>> http://www.hpc.uhh.hawaii.edu

>>> This isn't a "top level vendors prejudices"
>>> This is a Scientific Linux Developers prejudices.
>>> "People want XFS" until they start loosing critical data.  Trust me,
>>> it's happened here.  They scream for it and scream for it, and then
>>> scream at you when it corrupts stuff and somehow it's all become my
>>> fault.
>>>
>>> You can do all sorts of stuff in the %post install scripts,
>>> including install stuff from the contrib area.  You are only limited
>>> by your imagination.
>>>
>>> Troy
>>> --
>>> Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  (630)840-6468
>>> Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group
>>
> Hi - This thread comes at an opportune time for me.  We are
> experiencing horrible performance on RAID5 arrays on 3Ware
> 9500S controllers (eg. wait for keystrokes to appear when
> doing any kind of IO).  The system is running SL4.4 and it's
> been suggested that the kernel scheduler in RHEL4 is at fault,
> so I'm currently slowly moving up to SL5 to see if that fixes it.
> On the other hand, trying to figure this out, I've seen it suggested
> on a gentoo forum from someone with a similar problem that
> going to XFS from ext3 was a solution.  However, these questions
> of data corruption worry me.  How common is it to lose data on
> an XFS filesystem?  Obviously, TUV thinks it's a problem, but
> I've only ever seen reference to their 'internal tests'. Do those of
> you using (or have used in the past) XFS, see any greater problems
> with data integrity?
> -Karl
I've been using XFS under linux since the 2.4 kernel series.  I've found
it to be quite stable and personally haven't run into any data
corruption.  I've been able to recover my data even with intermittent
drive failure at times (fingers crossed).  That's not to say it
can't/doesn't happen for others.  The biggest drawback that I have
experienced (and read about) with XFS is poor power failure tolerance,
which a backup UPS could probably solve.

For some reason, reiserfs became popular very quickly.  It handles
smaller files well from what I gather, whereas XFS is geared more toward
large file storage.  I prefer XFS in part due to its long history in
IRIX where it has proved itself over the years.
For customer use, I still stick with ext3 for compatibility reasons and
the fact that we deal in many small files.

As for the SL4.4 to 5.0 scheduler, I've noticed an overall
speed/responsiveness improvement in my limited testing.  I'm very happy
with the performance of SL5, but am holding out until 5.1 with site support.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Mr. Mark V. Stodola