SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:03:22 -0500
Brent L. Bates wrote:
>      I guess I forgot to add that I downloaded the x86_64 set of SL 4.5 CD's.
> At least under SL 3.0.2/5, XFS will work with 4k stacks, as long as one
> doesn't pile a lot of layers on top of the file system.  Layers like logical
> volumes and NFS and what ever else one can thing of.  We have been running
> fine with software RAID 0 and 1 (2 separate partitions), XFS, and NFS.
>
>      So, with the x86_64 set of six SL 4.5 CD's combined into one DVD, if we
> just do:
>
> 	linux xfs
>
> do we have a chance?  I was under the impression that the installer doesn't
> give XFS as a default option and that if `xfs' is used on the command line it
> would be available.  Someone gave me some diff's for anaconda source and that
> seemed to be the only change.  XFS isn't `officially' support by RedHat's
> installer, but if one added the command line option it will do it, but with a
> warning message.

Ahh ... in that case, the answer is simply "no", the installer will not do it.
XFS isn't in the main part of the distribution, only in the contrib area.  So
there is no way for the installer to get to the XFS stuff.

It's only in the contrib area because if it was in the distribution, it might
imply that we actually support it in some form.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group