SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 23:16:05 +0100
On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Eva Myers wrote:

> Hello,
> I emailed this list a few months ago about troubles with Firefox
> defaulting to letter paper, and was told that this could be fixed by
> modifying /usr/lib/firefox-[version]/greprefs/all.js.  This works, but
> whenever Firefox is updated (which seems to happen quite a lot) I have
> to redo the changes.  Is it possible for these configuration changes
> to carry over from one version of Firefox to the next?

We re-do the (somewhat extensive) changes/customisations to firefox (etc)
each time a new version is installed by arranging to run a script (right
after the updates) which drops in a file all-damtp.js iff the version of
firefox installed is different from last time it ran.

If I had a little more time (ha!) I'd put the code into a trivial rpm
which just has a trigger on firefox/thunderbird/seamonkey being
installed/updated.

We currently re-run parts nightly 'cos it also drops in the central .cfg
(occasionally we have time to update that between firefox releases), and
plugin symlinks etc.

--
Jon Peatfield,  Computer Officer,  DAMTP,  University of Cambridge
Mail:  [log in to unmask]     Web:  http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/