SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:11:16 -0500
Hi Donald,
I am presuming that you mean the How-To on How to create a site?

Currently, no.

We released S.L. 5.0 without the ability to create sites.  It was a matter of
priorities.  People wanted the release more than they wanted sites.  Since the
installer had been so totally re-written, we knew it was going to take time to
figure out the best way to make sites.
We were correct.  Connie has worked very hard and has made great progress, but
there is still a bug or two.
But, we expect, by Scientific Linux 5.1, there should be a way to create sites.

Is there a way to do a "psudo-site"?
Yes
If you have bunch of rpm's that you want included in your site, and you have
your comps file.  Create a yum repository with those rpm's and comps file.
example:
  cd myrepo ; createrepo -g comps.xml .

Then in a kickstart file, use the "repo" line to add that repository.
While you are at it, you can also use another repo line that points to the
security updates.
example ks.cfg:
url --url http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/50/i386
repo --name=updates
--baseurl=http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/50/i386/updates/security/
repo --name=mysite --baseurl=http://myserver.mydomain/path/to/myrepo/
<rest of kick start file>

When this runs, the installer is going to merge all three repositories
together.  It will not only merge the rpm's, but also the comps.xml files.
You have to remember that the merging of comps.xml files is an "AND" merge.  If
you have the same groupname (example: base) in your new comps.xml, it will only
add packages to the already existing base.

We are expecting the sites functionality to be available in S.L. 5.1.

Hope this helps
Troy

Donald Tripp wrote:
> Does the howto still apply to SL 5?
>
> Thanks,
>

> - Donald Tripp
>   [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group