SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:35:58 +0800
Klaus Steinberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> We have asked may times for volunteers to help us put all of those
>> scientific applications into SL.  The only thing we ever get is "please
>> put in so.and.so".  We do not get "Yes, I will help you put in these
>> scientific applications".
>
> We talked about making a contrib RPM for root, but my colleague who maintains
> the root installations at our site is somewhat reluctant to pack root into a
> rpm. He says root is too much of a moving target to have it burn into a rpm.
>
> Usually we have 3 installations of root on our systems in parallel (old, new,
> prod) to maintain binary compatibility. This would be hard to do with RPM's.

Red Hat did something similar with python 1.5 and python 2.

I don't know what root is or what releases exist, so interpret this to
suit reality.

root's binaries go to
/usr/bin/root-<releaseno> - maybe /usr/bin/root-1.0, /usr/bin/root-1.5,
/usr/bin/root-2.0, Similar for man pages.

root's shared libraries also have the version in their filenames.

root's library-type scripts go to /usr/lib/root-<releaseno>. See perl
for examples.

root's docs go to /usr/share/doc/root-<releaseno>

Use Red Hat's alternatives system to maintain symlinks in /usr/bin that
point to the default root _on this system_. See /etc/alternatives/ for
other packages that use alternatives.

Uses can explicitly choose the version they want, maybe executing root-1.5

Alternatives is a standard way, but one could also use a script in
/etc/root to set users' environment for their prefered version; users
would source the one of choice. A symlink, /etc/profile.d/root.sh, would
point to the default version (but might need to be source explicitly in
some cases, think crontabs.)

--

Cheers
John