SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 07:49:17 +0800
Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My University uses Active Directory.  I use Linux.
>
> I would like my SL server to use the active directory to determine
> which usernames are valid for things like logins.
>
> I'm already using the University's Kerberos infrastructure to verify
> passwords, but I have to make sure the user names are in /etc/passwd.
> I'd like to not have to add the users to /etc/password.
>
> It would be even better if I could get group information from Active
> Directory, but I can probably live without it.
>
> Anyone know if this is possible?  Know what needs to go into the
> setup, or know of a good howto?

I don't know where Kerberos comes into this, but configuring Linux to
authenticate against LDAP should work: standard LDAP enquiries work
against AD.

_That_ should be just a matter of running the RH configuration tool.

If you want more than user/password (eg home directory) then you will
need to ensure AD has the info. Google (and the other links) are likely
to provide the information or links to it.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait