SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art Wildman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:07:44 -0400
Donald E Tripp wrote:
> I've never done this, but given a short google search, it seems possible.
>
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Authenticating-Linux-Active-Directory.html
>
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247165.html?Open
>
> The above IBM redbook seems to have much of the information you would need. Since ADS does indeed use Kerberos as its underlying authentication, it should be possible to verify user names through the ADS domain.

There is actually a book that describes much of this process with some
nice scripts & tips, "Samba-3 by Example" and the "Samba Howto
Collection" documents the pieces to setup Linux+Samba as a AD Member
Server & have users Auth to AD. It's a bit complex & uses Kerberos,
WinBind and PAM modules. The next version of Samba-4 will have simpler
ways of getting features like these, better LDAP integration & the
ability to do BDC/AD Replication IIRC. There is quite a lot of this info
on the Samba-Users list too, here are some links I've collected.

Samba-3 by Example
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/index.html

How To Integrate Samba (File Sharing) Using Active Directory For
Authentication
http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_active_directory

Configuring Samba 3.0 To Use The ADS Security Mode (CentOS)
http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_ads_security_mode

Gentoo - HOWTO fit Linux into Active Directory
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Active_Directory
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fit_Linux_into_Active_Directory

Quick HOWTO Ch10 Windows, Linux, and Samba - Linux Home Networking
http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch10_:_Windows,_Linux,_and_Samba

Wedding Samba to an Active Directory Domain
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9397/sam0414e/0414e.htm

SAMBA Winbind PAM - auto create users home dir - Redhat KB
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_43_5367.shtm

--
Art Wildman - NWS JAX FL. - http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jax
"If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will..." - Grateful Dead