SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:45:15 -0500
John Summerfield wrote:
> I've asked this on the RHEL5 list, but the answer may be different here,
> and I will most likely be using Tikanga-clone.
>
> It seems I may need a PCI wireless card for a time. What models (and
> revisions) are known to work easily with RHEL5.
>
> It used to be prism54, but there was a chipset change and the new one
> didn't work back then. Then the website went bizarre, and besides the
> chipset wasn't popular with vendors and so devices were hard to find.
>
> I know Atheros-based devices generally work, but one needs to add
> non-standard kernel modules. Dlink uses Atheros.
>
> TI was no-go. Dlink uses them too, about as often as Atheros.
>
> Broadcom was no-go, but I gather some (at least) work now.
>
> What's the latest?
>

> To be clear, I'm not talking laptops. Standard PC kit with PCI slots.

I am running SL 5 and use wireless for my networking.

I have a prism based wireless in my PC, and it works fine. The only
problem is it's 802.11b based, so it's a bit slower
Intersil Corporation Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset (rev 01)

The following doesn't work at all.  It's in the same PC, and I just
can't get it to work.
RaLink RT2500 802.11g Cardbus/mini-PCI (rev 01)

They work the same in 32 bit or 64 bit.
I think the one problem is that they both are old and you probrubly
can't find them anymore.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group