SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 23:19:28 -0700
For those of you using Postfix:

Sendmail is the MTA of choice for RH-style distros.  Instead, I use
Postfix for reasons I won't get into here.  Last night, Postfix
stopped working, with a "mail to xxxx loops back to myself" error.

The fix turned out to be properly setting up the "match-clients"
line in a /etc/named.conf file on the internal name server machine.
This drove me nuts, because ping and traceroute on the Postfix
machine found my mailserver (via /etc/hosts), but Postfix could
not, because it wants to talk to the internal DNS server (and
couldn't).  That is broken (or at least misleading) behavior, IMHO.

So,  this message is a warning to any of the rest of you having
Postfix problems to verify your DNS behavior with "dig", and to
not rely on /etc/hosts.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993