SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Mansour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 07:46:12 +1000
Hi Ken,

> If I install packages from ATrpms or DAG, do I simply modify the
> enable flag in the respective repo files in /etc/yum.repo.d so the
> system gets properly updated from these other repos during the
> nightly yum update cron job?  Is it really this simple or are there
> side-effects I should be aware of?

Personally I disable all third party repo's by default and enable them only
when I want packages from them.

With rpmforge (dag, dries), you can basically enable it by default as most of
the packages supplied by rpmforge do not interfere with the core Linux
distribution (talking from experience).

ATrpms doesn't work that way but caters more for the "enable it by default"
process as it will update many of the core distribution files putting you out
of sync with updates from SL.

Depending on your requirements, this may or may not be what you want and
ATrpms does support you if things go wrong.

You can choose to be selective on the repo for certain packages but you're on
your own if things go wrong.

Regards,

Michael.

------- End of Original Message -------