SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:47:18 -0500
Johan Mares said...

|It is easy to install a webserver with SL, but more and more we are
|having trouble because the versions that come with either SL4.4 (PHP
|4.3.9) or SL5.0 (PHP5.1.6) are not recent enough to use current versions
|of third party software (for example Mapserver needs PHP 4.4.6 or
|5.2.1).  I've installed LAMP manually, but that was at home, not for a
|production environment. I would like to keep on using SL, the apache and
|mysql that comes with it are ok too, but what is the best means to
|install a more recent version of PHP (5.2.1 or maybe even the 5.2.3) and
|how do you update/maintain it ? With PHP I am not only referring to the
|PHP module, but also to the PHP-SOAP,
|PHP-PEAR, PHP-mbstring, PHP-mcrypt, ...

Along with whatever you are requesting here you might also
fuss at the people writing the packages you are trying to
install, or the people packaging it.  A lot of times there
is no reason for requiring the most up to date packages.

Also, do they "really* need these, or is it just the package
manager because of whatever they built on?  Did you try
installing on a non-production system with "--nodeps"?

This is one of the downsides to the anarchy of free software.