SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2007 10:15:16 +0100
Manuel Mussini wrote:
> Hi,
> this is really useful!!!!!
> Could you help me a little more to understand the syntax?
> It's not clear to me what "cat <<Z" and "Z" do!
>
> In addition to that ... what do I need to configure to let this work? I'm
> not able to run it on all my desktops so probably something is set
> different! I get no error but I do not receive the mail!

Are you sending the mail to the root user?

Then you need to set an alias in /etc/aliases and forward root's email
to your email address (or even better a list of people, so that you can
go on holiday).
Edit /etc/aliases and use the command "newalias"

If your script is sending email to your address directly,
I can help if you are using the Postfix mail program (and that is not
likely) , as that is the one I have most experience with. I would rather
not try to help you configure Sendmail remotely.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer