SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Richard Balthazor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Balthazor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2007 07:58:15 -0600
Bill,

I don't have your hardware, but I've had problems in the past with the
intel 950 and a WXGA screen.   I had to

i) kick the video BIOS with 915resolution to tell it the display's
native mode (!), and
ii) create a modeline (I used gtf) to shove into xorg.conf.

> so it supports wide screen resolution?  Do I keep xorg.conf driver at "i8
> 10"
> or switch to "intel".  I had to use 855resolution to try out widescreen
> (overwrite bios mode) to even try out wide screen on lcd with native
> resolution of 1680x1050 and it scrunched up.

What does "Scrunched up" mean? :-)

I recall I also had to kick the machine BIOS to stop forcing horrible
furry expansions of resolutions lower than the native mode.

cheers,
R.