SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Bill Lutter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Lutter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:37:07 -0500
SUMMARY: I can't get widescreen  resolution to work with intel Q965 as I
seem to not have a intel driver that supports it.  I find updates via intel
and pbone:  xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-10.fc6.src.rpm.  I notice there seems to
be a FC7 version.  Will the fc6 driver possibly freshen up older i810 driver
so it supports wide screen resolution?  Do I keep xorg.conf driver at "i810"
or switch to "intel".  I had to use 855resolution to try out widescreen
(overwrite bios mode) to even try out wide screen on lcd with native
resolution of 1680x1050 and it scrunched up.  If i rpm -Fvh and then reboot
and change xorg.con to 1680x1050 res, will that work?

DETAILS:
I've installed SL5 on a HP dc7700 desktop. Graphics chipset is Q965/Q963.

lspci -v:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated
Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])

Neither linux nor winXP intel drivers support widescreen resolution as it
does not show up as a mode on either one. I figured this out after
overwriting a low-res video bios mode to 1680x1050 using 855resolution.
This allowed use of a generic LCD monitor (1680x1050) at that resolution but
it only used 80-90% of screen on a 1680x1050 native resolution lcd monitor.
A 1600x1200 resolution uses up 100% of the 1680x1050 LCD as that is what the
graphics driver sends out.  So, I figure it's the driver as even the winXP
driver has to be updated (booting into winXP provides 1600x1200 but not wide
screen modes!!!).

The monitor (V7 brand) was not recognized and SL5 gave me junk, so I took a
knoppix derived xorg.conf file tweaked to generic lcd monitor and eventually
ended up at 1600x1200 and the 1680x1050 resolutions.  Knoppix has the
section "Device" driver as an "i810".

I see that intel now has s xorg 2d linux driver.
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html
xf86-video-intel

and when I search on pbone for this (http://rpm.pbone.net/) (nothing thru
sl5 repositories or dag or atprms), I find:
xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-10.fc6.src.rpm

which I can do a rpmbuild on and then "freshen" via rpm -Fvh from the older
version in SL5.

I'm at home now, so I can't try this out, so I figured I should ask this
august group if in fact I have the right driver for the Q965 graphics chip
or do I need to try out the FC7 version?

If I reboot with updated i810 rpm package, will the proper mode now show up?
Or am I way off the mark? Do I need to change the driver from "i810" to "intel"?

I've gotten  this far by trial and error, so sage advice or even not so sage
advice is welcome.

Bill Lutter