SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:08:56 +0100
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

<snip>
>>  Is there any reason why I shouldn't build/test the xterm-215-5.el5
>>  package?  Does anyone know if this is likely to be in SL-5.1?
>>

> This will be in the fastbug's.
> Fastbug's are non-security errata that just sortof show up in TUV's source
> rpm area.  They call them Fasttrack.  Basically, they are rpm's that are
> going to be in the next release, and they are putting them out early so that
> people can use them if they want.  So yes, it will very probrubly be in SL
> 5.1.

Thanks, next week (I hope) I'll get a chance to test it - we are in the
middle of the SL50 roll-out here (upgrading mainly from SL308), 90
desktops upgraded so far with very few problems... (*)

>>  Note that in SL3 anyone/anything could call utempter.  I didn't check
>>  SL4...
>>
>>  BTW how long does it normally take for TUB to put up srpms into their ftp
>>  tree?  I can't see anything obvious for the recent (cups, poppler, xpdf,
>>  kdegraphics) errata but I don't know if one normally expects to have to
>>  wait a day or two for them to appear...
>>
> TUV usually has the source rpm's in their place when they send out an errata
> announcement.  Yesterday's announcement, dealing with the pdf security, was
> an exception where we had to wait a whole day.  I don't know what the delay
> was on their end, but delays like that have happened before, but they are
> rare.
> They are up there now, and we are compiling already.  Expect the errata and
> the announcement later on today.

Thanks, I'm not intending to hassle you - for cups we build ourselves with
a local 'map-user' patch and for xpdf we use the one from SL4 on SL3
(xpdf-2 was apparently 'too old' for our users).  We also build xpdf for
SL5 'cos the other pdf viewers arn't what people expect and I wanted to
check that the TUV patch corresponded to the foolabs xpdf-3.02pl1.patch
before applying it (it does).

I mentioned before that cups wouldn't build for me with the autoconf
shipped with SL5 (it needs a newer m4 that SL50 has).  What environment do
you build it in?

(*) some commercial apps (e.g. old mathematica-5) sometimes misbehave on
SL5, but the newer versions (e.g. 6.0.1) seem ok.  The SL50 a2ps.cfg is
missing a bunch of Delegation entries (for pdf, ps, and various image
formats) possibly because the apps (pdf2ps, psselect, convert) arn't found
during configuration.  Still we can easily fix that now we know...

  -- Jon