SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Zhi-Wei Lu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:08:18 -0700
Hi,

I was playing with Sophos Antivirus for Linux (not really necessary
in my opinion, but ...) for an SL 5.0 system, the antivirus program
crashed the system.  I managed to remove the Sophos Antivirus
software using the install DVD.  However, the system crashes very
early on in the booting process.  It sets the hostname, then it tries
to do LVM stuff and something (fly by too quickly), then it crashes.
I couldn't get too much from the kernel panic messages, it mentions
about ext3 filesystem calls and among other.  Is there a way to
capture all the booting message to a file?

I suspect that it may be a problem with LVM and I played with SL5
liveCD and Install CD in the rescue mode, I was able to mount the
logical volume without any problem.  Any suggestion of how I should
proceed!  I did try the rc.sysinit
LVM commands by hand while in the LiveCD mode, the system was fine.

Thank you for your help.

Zhi-Wei Lu
Institue for Data Analysis and Visualization (IDAV)
UC Davis                     Phone:    (530) 752-0494
Davis, CA 95616        Fax:         (530) 752-8894