SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:21:43 +0100
Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> So... I haven't gotten to a successful installation yet, but I think I
> figured out what the problem was.
>
> I had a 3ware 9650se driving a 4x750 raid5.  What I forgot to was
> carve (I think this is the term) a boot volume out of the main array.
> That is, now I've got one 50GB drive, and one 2045GB drive, but they
> have the same constituent drives.

A common configuration for our builds with a 3Ware card is
2xdrives in a mirrored configuration. These are used for the system
partitions, and are bootable. These are usually smaller drives (in the
past 80Gbytes, but these days 250Gbytes as drives are getting bigger).

The rest of the drives are configured as a RAID5 set plus spare,
again these days usually 500 (moving inevitably to 1Tbyte).
Or a RAID6 on the 9650 card.
This big drive used for data storage.

I would  suggest that you find two small drives and install them as a
mirrored pair. Then partition, rsync across your system partitions and
grub-install. Mirrored system disks are a huge advantage.
Drive fails, customer calls, drive sent out. System keeps on running.

The above assumes you have an eight or twelve port card.
If not, a second card is an option for the system drive pair.

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer