SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Hearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:42:22 +0100
Michael H. Semcheski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm setting up Scientific Linux (version 4.5) on a brand new machine.
> This machine has a 3ware RAID card.  The RAID5 configuration is 4x750.
> (So I'm installing onto a
> roughly 2TB disk, using the default partitioning.)
>
> Anaconda does fine.  No errors.  After the disk is formated and the
> packages are copied over from the CD's, it asks me to reboot.  I
> reboot, and after the BIOS and RAID are initialized, instead of seeing
> grub, I just see a blank text screen with a blinking cursor in the top
> left corner.
>
> Any ideas what's going on?

Have you marked the RAID set as bootable in the 3Ware BIOS?
 From your description I think that is the problem.

Which RAID card model please?
I deal a lot with 3Ware cards - later models may not be supported under
the stock Scientific Linux kernels.

Also you might have to make sure that th 3w-xxx or 3w-9xxx driver is in
your initrd (Anaconda should do this automatically, but you never know).

--
      John Hearns
      Senior HPC Engineer