SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2007 01:31:45 +0100
A number of people - not on this list - have objections to SEL, even including
the suggestion that it is really a business model to sell support rather than
offer security!

Mine has always been that a security system that depends on various utilities
must be fundamentally insecure as anyone can insert corrupted versions and a
hacker can alter the path so that the unsuspecting user ends up copying their
files out as well as doing an ls for example.  And if you happen to disable
SEL then enable it again, you have I believe to rebuild the filestore.

Others view the LSM as insecure by virtue of exported symbols.

A lot can be done with standard access controls and it is a great pity that so
many packages are wrapped up and thus installed with world permissions, read
permissions when not appropriate and other loopholes.  It would be far too
much to expect Connie and Troy (or our friends at CentOS) to reset all of
these - it is really a hole created by the UV maybe to justify the inclusion
of SEL.  Proper setting of home directories that mirrors group  access can
reduce visibility. (ie set the home as /home/groupname/username with 2771
group permissions, group membership for user and  0700 for the home
directory) controls a lot of things.

I always disable SEL and use grsecurity (www.grsecurity.net) which is a kernel
patch that requires no supporting utilities other than the gradm control
utility.  It includes the PaX patches.

The only issue then is that the grsec patches generally refer to the latest -
or nearly latest - kernels and there is some debate that a stable version
should be made available for 'stable' kernels such as used by the Upstream
Vendor.

Policies are always a problem to set of course.

Thanks for everything.

--
Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
[log in to unmask]              [log in to unmask]
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com