SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2007

From:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
R P Herrold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:10:07 -0400
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, since I don't use it, what do you
> usually set for the default number.  In the past, I had it
> set to 2.  Is that reasonable, or would people rather have
> it higher? like 3 or 4?

The centos group have discussed this -- with the pace of
kernel updates, particularly near the start of a release of a
new Major, it is inprovident to think that end users running
yum on a cron autopilot will reboot when new kernels are
walked in.

This is not an issue, UNLESS a new kernel comes in, and the
plugin has removed the modules for the running kernel, such
that 'loop' cannot be loaded (ie, if it is not present).

mkinitrd is fragile enough, and yum's error detection
historically insufficiently granular, that I worry that a
number of people are going to be going to recovery media ;(

Throw in non-stock controller kernel modules, and a trainwreck
seems to be on a horizon.

Dialling up to say at least 4, if leaving it enabled at all,
seems prudent, to let others be the pioneers -- you know -
the ones with the arrows sticking out of their backs  ;0.

- Russ Herrold