SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2007

From:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jon Peatfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:59:47 +0100
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> installonlyn is part of SL 4.5, it is called yum-installonlyn, so you only
> have to do
>  yum install yum-installonlyn
> and it will be installed and turned on.  The default n is 2.
>
> installonlyn was taken out of the generic yum-utils that comes from yum.
> (nothing to do with the upstream vendor)  Since I didn't know why it was
> taken out, I left it out.

I see what you mean now.  Doh! Bangs head against wall.

However if you look at
http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/download/yum-utils/yum-utils-0.3.1.tar.gz
it doesn't have installonlyn in it, nor does their srpm.  Looking at the
SL4x srpm changelog we have:

* Fri Nov 18 2005 Panu Matilainen <[log in to unmask]> 0.3.1-1.SL.2
- created fastestmirror-asyncore from fastestmirror
- added fastestmirror-meta
- added installonlyn
- Gave a default configuration for versionlock

which has been done in part by re-making the yum-utils-0.3.1.tar.gz to
include exta files!  I believe that that is bad-rpm style if not just
utterly confusing.

If the extra files had just been *added* obviously to the yum-utils srpm
then it would be clear that they were never part of the 'official'
yum-utils distribution.

Maybe we should start a yum-useful-plugins collection.... :-)

  -- Jon