SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

July 2007

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:46:19 -0500
On Mon, 16 Jul 2007, EXT-Rodgers, Marianne wrote:

> I have a task to customize Scientific Linux. I am wondering if anyone
> has instructions corresponding somewhat to the following two web paged
> from CentOS 4.3. It might be that these two pages work for Scientific
> Linux too. I do notice a variation of CentOS comp.xml in SL, in fact two
> of them. I assume the contrib comp.xml variation is not for the basic

There will be a few variations such as centos-release vs sl-release.

There is no comps.xml for contrib in 4.3 .  Can you be more specific about
which comps.xml you are referring to.

> installation of SL.
>
> Ok here are the two CentOS 4.3 web pages that tell how to customize a
> CentOS 4.3 installation. Are there any similar instructions for SL?
>
> http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/lateral/stories/38.html
> http://sipx-wiki.calivia.com/index.php/A_Kickstart_CD_for_sipX_on_CentOS
> #Creating_a_Custom_Installer There is a customizing section in this
> document. I had to hack to get some of the commands to work, and never
> did get the pkgorder command to work.
>
> http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/lateral/stories/38.html gave some
> hints that were not in the previous customization web page. Again, I
> never did get the pkgorder command to work.
>
> I wonder if contrib has something for customization. I will look.

SL provides a "easier" way to customize .  We provide what we call
"sites".  Sites provide for a isolation of changes by putting all of the
changes in a subdirectory of the main install tree.  See
sites/example/README for more info.  Note that support for "sites" is not
in SL5 yet.  I am working on that now.  Full support is in SL 3.0.x and SL
4.x .

You will still need to know how to edit the comps.xml file if you want to
change "what is installed" , unless you use kickstart where you can
customize that selection as part of the kickstart config file.

> A MUCH BIGGER question is where can I find a lists that compare rpms for
> RedHat 9, CentOS 4.3, and Scientific Linux 5.0.

We document the changes we make in the SL.releasenote file that is part of
the release.  It documents the changes compared to "TUV".

I do not know of any comparision of the differences between 9, 4.3 and 5.

> I know how to edit the various comp.xml (unless the SL comp-SL.xml and
> the other comp.xml's differ quite a bit), but I really need to know
> which rpms of these Linux OS are the same, but named differently, or are
> similar and are replaced in Scientific Linux with other rpms. This is
> really my BIG question.

See the SL.releasenotes
If the name is the same as "TUV" it is not changed.

> I am a newbie, so I hope I have followed the correct etiquette. If I am
> looking on the wrong mailing list, please let me know.
>
> I don't know if I should sign my name or alias or if you already have my
> name and e-mail. Many mailing list use just anonymous names for security
> reasons.

I do not understand this question.

> Any information or help is very greatly appeared.
>
> Thank you so very much!

What are you trying to customize?   I should be able to give you more
detailed pointers if I know what you want to change.

-Connie Sieh