SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2007

From:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Summerfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 07:53:58 +0800
Mark Stodola wrote:
> I'm finally getting around to taking a stab at creating a site.  I was
> originally intending to use SL4, but now that 5 is out I am going to
> focus my efforts on it.  I noticed that there is no example site or even
> a sites directory for SL5.  Has site creation changed for 5 or can I go
> through and recreate one based on the SL4 example?
>
> Any help in pointing me to resources/directions would be greatly
> appreciated.  I'm already reading the information from the HOWTO section
> on the website.  I'm especially interested in adding installer classes
> to anaconda cleanly.  It isn't clear how the RHupdates/ directory really
> works vs. building a new anaconda rpm.

RHupdates/ and /updates.img are used to patch the installer at run time.
I've never explored how to use them, but I note that with an http
install SL5 looks for these:
/ScientificLinux/5.0/i386/os/images/updates.img
/ScientificLinux/5.0/i386/os/disc1/images/updates.img

I expect ftp to do likewise, and if you're using CD/DVD then updates.img
is supposedly a floppy (but an alternative is probably required for
machines lacking floppies).

--

Cheers
John