SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2007

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:03:42 -0500
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

>> https://www.scientificlinux.org/documentation/faq/distro.versions
>

> Thank you!
>

>> One thing to note is that CentOS doesn't have what we call a "rolling" area,
>
>> which is our "beta" area in CentOS terms.  They have their beta (rolling) area
>
>> on a completely different server so it doesn't get mixed up.
>

> Err...
> I suppose things are even more complicated:
> 1. IMHO, "rolling" means "you don't have to change anything to upgrade", so by my dictionary, both SL's "4x" and CentOS' "4" are "rolling", as they map to the latest "4.5" etc.
> 2. Maybe CentOS' "FastTrack" repository

FastTrack matches TUV FastTrack, for SL we call it Fastbugs.  It is a area
for "early released" rpms.

> is something like SL's "rolling"?! Aren't both of them something "available before it's really available"?
> 3. "Beta" is really beta... and nobody wants to run such stuff...

rolling was named after the original RedHat rawhide area.  This was a area
that would change alot.  So the name rolling was named after rawhide
iinfluenced by the "rolling rolling rawhide" song.  For me rolling means
"changing".

-Connie Sieh