SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

June 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:12:27 -0500
Jon Peatfield wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Troy Dawson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I want to verify what was agreed upon at Hepix before sending it out to
>> the general scientific-linux-users and -announce mailling lists.
>>
>> The overall goal is to prolong the lifetime of Scientific Linux 3.0.x,
>> while at the same time lowering the load on the developers.  Thus
>> making it possible for the developers to maintain Scientific Linux
>> 3.0.x while we create new releases, such as SL5 and SL6 along with
>> their minor releases.
>>
>> We will create one more version of Scientific Linux 3.0.x, it's number
>> will be 3.0.9, with a codename of legacy.  It will be based on Update 9
>> from The Upstream Vendor.
>>
>> SL 309 will not get anything more than the security updates provides
>> by The Upstream Vendor.  These security updates will continue until
>> TUV stops supporting Enterprise 3.  This is currently October 31, 2010.
>
> Just to check -- do you mean that 309 will _not_ include bugfixes (etc)
> released <em>as part of TUV Update 9</em>, or that after 309 is released
> there won't be any updates apart from security ones?
>
> I don't particularly mind either way (as we plan to _mostly_ upgrade to
> SL5 this summer anyway), but just want to check what you meant.

There are two parts to this.
The spirit of what we mean is that we're not going to do anything extra for
this realease, because we just don't have the manpower to do it.  If there is a
bug, we're sorry, but we won't be able to help.

The other part is that RedHat when they came out with RHEL 3, said that after a
certain time, there would only be security updates, no more bugfixes.  It
really looks like with Update 9, they are ending their bugfixing support.
Does this mean that if TUV does make a bugfix for some package it won't make it
in?  Not necessarily.  The goal is to make support for this as easy as possible.
If it's easier to do everything, security and bugfixes, then that's what we'll
do.  If it's not easier, then we won't.

>> We will have to take out or modify some of our value added packages
>> due to
>> their maintenance load.
>>
>> Two of those packages that we anticipate dropping are Firefox and
>> Thunderbird.  At some point in a year or so, TUV is going to switch
>> from Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 3, and we anticipate that we won't have
>> the man hours to make this transition.  We currently don't know
>> exactly how we will transition out firefox and thunderbird, but we
>> will try to be nice about it.
>
> Has TUV actually announced this somewhere public?  I've searched and
> failed to find any statement other than that they planned to stay with
> 1.5.x for a while yet...
>
> At least while they are shipping 1.5.x for SL4/5 I assume that the diffs
> from a previous SL3 version will probably mostly work ok... :-)

They announced this at the RedHat Summit, in several different presentations.
I don't know if the talks are publically available.  But they didn't say we
couldn't talk about them.
In summary, they will update 3 office products once a year.  Those products are
openoffice, evolution, and firefox.  Thunderbird is considered part of firefox.
  I won't go into the detail's of why.
Firefox will be updated to Firefox 3.  (I don't remember what versions
openoffice or evolution will be updated to.)

As for firefox and thunderbird in SL 3.0.9, it will not be available during the
install.  I'm not sure how we're going to phase it out, but we don't want it to
be availabe during install, only to have it yanked out when you do an update.

>> We will also upgrade openafs to version 1.4.4 in SL 3.0.9.  This will
>> keep it
>> with the same codebase as SL 4 and SL5, and thus easier to maintain.
>>
>> We will go through the rest of the list and see what else needs to be
>> dropped
>> due to high maintenance loads.
>>
>> Troy

Troy

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group