SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 12:17:10 -0500
Hi,
This is about 3 or 4 questions in one, so I'm going to start at the top
and see if we can get this figured out together.

It sounds like the first and main problem is that your wireless isn't
recognized.
Do you know what type of wireless it is?
If not, can you send the output of
   lspci

Just so you know, Fermi Linux (Scientific Linux Fermi) uses the
Scientific Linux packages, except for Fermi's custom ones.  Fermi
doesn't customize anything dealing with compilers, so any Scientific
Linux packges should work with the Fermi Linux of the same release (ie
SL 4.4 pacakges work in Fermi Linux 4.4)

Troy

Teilhard Knight wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I recently installed Fermi Linux AMD64, and it didn't recognize my
> wireless nic. I have hopes to be able to have wireless Internet in this
> OS, and I have the right module and the firmware that would make it
> work. Problem is that I do not know what I need to install to be able to
> compile the module. I tried as the installation stands and I cannot
> compile. Also, I would be interested in knowing whether the Scientific
> Linux packages are good for Fermi Linux, or where to download the
> necessary packages to be able to compile. I tried to install Scientific
> Linux 5.0 i386, but the installer doesn't go further on than choosing
> the language of the installation, on choosing the keyboard outline, the
> installation freezes. Thanks for your help.
>
> Teilhard.

Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group