SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Alex Finch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 12:19:34 +0100
Hi everyone,

  Thanks for all the interesting replies to my posting yesterday. I guessed it  was down to  TUV. I will start by trying Troy's
suggestion as that seems to involve least work on my part!

>Whenever I want this I do a

>yum install "*"

  Our experience was we never had a problem with dependencies, and we did avoid having to continually add extra packages/libraries
on a piecemeal basis. We also  guaranteed all our machines were set up the same way. We only have around 15 user machines and they
tend to be installed in batches of one or two so just running through the standard installation process is quite sufficient. We have
a standard post install script which turns off anything we don't want after the installation. In fact each batch of one or two
machines often needs a tweak here or there to get it running, for example the last batch needed two or three extra kernel options to
run at all. If we had hundreds of identical machines to install at one go we would obviously see things differently. All of the
other suggestions unfortunately require more work on our part than just clicking Everything used to do - shame!

Here's a few comments on the comments

"yum install additional required packages,"
            - But I have to know what the required packages are by all my users, now and in the future !

"'cos the install time is long enough anyway!"
           - That's the computer's time not mine so I don't care! Just come back when it has got to firstboot.

"need to generate a comps.xml file which has all the packages listed as default in some 'everything' grouping."
           - need to learn what  a comps.xml file is, and how to use it!

"You can still do a kickstart install with your ks config file listing all of the rpms. "
           - need to learn about kickstart

  thanks again for the interesting discussion.

                  Alex