SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 23:00:24 -0700
I used to do "Everything" installs too, until I got into Dependency
Hell for packages I did not use.  Un-yum-ing a maze of twisty little
dependencies is a pain.  So while I think the "install everything"
button should be *somewhere*, I would make it a text install option
so that experts can find it and fools can't.  I imagine removing that
button saves TUV millions of dollars of customer support a year.
This isn't the old days, when "Everything" loaded 50% more stuff;
now it loads 400% more stuff (oh boy, 14 text editors!).

When I am loading a new distro, I do go through all the menus and
turn a few things on and many things off.  I don't use IRC and a
lot of the media stuff.  I do like some of the scientific tools,
especially the tools that SL adds (you folks rock!).  I do so
realizing that something missing, or something extra, could interfere
with a yum update downstream.  The extras usually cause the most pain,
since yum will give up if something is in the way (which may be a
dependency of a dependency of some postage stamp counting program
that TUV decided was essential).  OTOH, yum will automagically
install depencencies if they are not there, so leaving something
out is rarely irreversable.

I would go back to "everything" mode if there was some way to keep
both old and updated versions of libraries, and let older programs
use the older libraries.  As the original poster said, RAM and disk
are cheap, and I would much rather store a dozen versions of libc
than spend a lot of time updating other programs because the
dependencies change when I install one new one.  So as long as we
are wishing for something we can't have, I wish for that ...

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]         Voice (503)-520-1993