SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Troy Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 11:09:09 -0500
Alex Finch wrote:
>  I just tried my first SL 5 installation, and was disappointed to find
> no "Everything" option in the installer. On previous releases this used
> to just install every package available. My fellow system manager and I
> have always used this up to now, because disk space is cheap, and our
> time is valuable, ( well we think so any way ). Is it possible to add
> this option back in to the installation please? Failing that is there a
> simple work around to get the same result using yum or something like that?

Whenever I want this I do a

yum install "*"

>  By the way the "Minimal" option has gone too which we never used in
> practice but I imagine could be useful.

Actually, I have found that I can do a much more minimal install than
before.  Before when you did minimal you got core and base.  Now, you
can actually uncheck things out of base.  (Does my server really need
pcmcia, I think not, out it goes)  So I now have a much more trim server
than I used to get with minimal.

Troy
Troy Dawson  [log in to unmask]  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/LCSI/CSI DSS Group