SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Miles O'Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 11:02:07 -0500
Connie Sieh said...

|Sorry but that is the way TUV has it coded and I agree with them for
|taking it out.  I actually like the idea of not allowing a "Everything"
|install.  It installs things that exist but are not configured and can
|lead to security issues since they are are not configured.  It is also
|hard to support as some packages just conflict.
|
|In the past when it was hard to install packages after a install was done
|I can see how this option could be useful.  Today with yum and the gui
|yum front ends making it easy to install packages later I do not see the
|real need for this.

The thing is, some of us like a one step installation
process.  Every time I have ever used anything less
than everything (with one exception, see below) it has
caused lots of problems.  Inevitably things failed
because of dependancy problems someone missed along
the way, and some package we expected to be somewhere
wasn't, so it took a lot of extra effort.  These have
bitten us many times over the years; loading "Everything"
never bit us with conflicts.

Alex (the OP) also noted:

|>  By the way the "Minimal" option has gone too which we never used in practice but I imagine could be useful.

I have used this on a couple of occasions and hand
added a couple of specific packages, with good results,
for special purpose systems exposed to the internet.
It's been a while, so I have no idea if it would still
work.  But at the time, it was handy.

FWIW,
Miles