SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Connie Sieh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 10:44:49 -0500
On Tue, 15 May 2007, Alex Finch wrote:

>  I just tried my first SL 5 installation, and was disappointed to find no "Everything" option in the installer. On previous
> releases this used  to just install every package available. My fellow system manager and I have always used this up to now, because
> disk space is cheap, and our time is valuable, ( well we think so any way ). Is it possible to add this option back in to the
> installation please? Failing that is there a simple work around to get the same result using yum or something like that?

Sorry but that is the way TUV has it coded and I agree with them for
taking it out.  I actually like the idea of not allowing a "Everything"
install.  It installs things that exist but are not configured and can
lead to security issues since they are are not configured.  It is also
hard to support as some packages just conflict.

In the past when it was hard to install packages after a install was done
I can see how this option could be useful.  Today with yum and the gui
yum front ends making it easy to install packages later I do not see the
real need for this.

>  By the way the "Minimal" option has gone too which we never used in practice but I imagine could be useful.
>

>        Alex Finch

-Connie Sieh