SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2007

From:
John Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Logsdon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 18:18:27 +0100
Just some comments.  I have just upgraded my 4.4 box using anaconda
(yum upgrade just updated the yum update repository then didn't do
anything).

Some comments:

1) To start with I forgot my root password so I tried linux rescue from
the 4.4 CD.

Except the kernel compiled for that assumes you are running SELinux, which
I do not.  So when I chroot'ed to /mnt/sysimage and did a passwd, SEL
reported that I didn't have the appropriate privilege.  Quick as a flash,
I vi'd /etc/shadow replacing the garbage between the first to :'s with
nothing so I could su into root without a password at all!  So much for
protection.

By definition, linux rescue will only be used by someone on site so I
don't see why it should assume SEL is enabled.  I think it should be
disabled.  I realise that the Upstream Vendor is married to SEL but there
are those of us who would rather not use it at all, particularly as we
patch the kernels with alternatives.  Would there ever be a possibility of
SL without SEL?

2) Using anaconda from SL 5.0, the upgrade went OK but the Release Notes
pages always returned a blank screen with some squares at the top.  I
guess this is just an inclusion error when the installer is compiled.

3) Once the system was rebooted, I couldn't log in via KDE.  First an
error was reported about an eggblue file missing (I didn't have a pen to
copy down and the RAC isn't working properly) then when I logged in, a
message was displayed saying that I had been logged in for <10 seconds so
there has probably been a fault. I got into the system on failsafe xterm
and deleted the .kde directory but KDE logins still didn't work.  Should I
have deleted anything else?  /tmp/ files???

I could login using Ice and everything seemed to be OK.  I can login to
the box remotely - it is only when I am onsite that I can't login via KDE.

4) It would be nice if the many interesting photos displayed had the
place, date and photographer displayed perhaps with some interesting
information.  So much nicer than the UV installation screens. But one can
get bored out the skull waiting ...:-)))

Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
[log in to unmask]              [log in to unmask]
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com